St. Thomas, at an age [of 49], decided to stop writing, saying that what he had written was no better than straw. As a disciple of St. Thomas, I would have to describe my writings as secondhand straw. And we know that calls for a shovel. ~ R. McInerny
For my dissertation, see this page.
• Published papers
Some are not available for download; if so, please contact me for a personal copy.
3. “World Enough and Form: Why Cosmology Needs Hylomorphism.” Online first in Synthese, 2019; part of the special issue, “Form, Structure, and Hylomorphism,” guest-edited by Anna Marmodoro and Michele Paolini Paoletti. First online 6 February 2019. (journal’s online first page; read the article online here)
2. “St. Thomas and Modern Natural Science: Reconsidering Abstraction from Matter.” In Cognoscens in Actu Est Ipsum Cognitum in Actu: Sobre Los Tipos y Grados de Conocimiento, edited by Carlos Augusto Casanova G. and Ignacio Serrano del Pozo, 433–471. Santiago: RIL Editores, 2018. (Buy the book here)
1. “Charles De Koninck and the Sapiential Character of Natural Philosophy.” American Catholic Philosophical Quarterly 90, no. 1 (2016): 1–24. doi:10.5840/acpq20161570.
• Forthcoming papers
– “Review of Creative Nature (Naturaleza Creativa, Rialp, 2018).” (in three parts, co-authored with Geoffrey Woollard; forthcoming in Scientia et Fides)
– “Is Personal Dignity Possible Only If We Live in a Cosmos?” (forthcoming in The Proceedings of the American Catholic Philosophical Association, undergoing revisions)
– “Is Thomistic Natural Philosophy Relevant for Cosmology?” (under review)
• My Research
Under the auspices of the Instituto de Filosofía at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, in Santiago, Chile, and the supervision of Prof. José Tomás Alvarado, I am currently engaged in postdoctoral research in the philosophy of cosmology. My project is funded by CONICYT-FONDECYT, Postdoctoral Project No. 3170446.
• Projects in statu viae:
“World Enough and Power: A Neo-Aristotelian Ontology for the Principle of Least Action”
“The Being and Essence of the Universe”
La filosofía de Dios: La sabiduría de Santo Tomás antes de los desafíos modernos
“Aristotle’s Road and Modern Science in Action”
“Aristotle’s Physical Continuum”
• Current book projects:
Brother Thomas and the Cosmos
• I am also working on some translations:
Translation of Juan Eduardo Carreño, La filosofía tomista ante el hecho de la evolución del viviente corpóreo: Consideraciones metodológicas y conceptuales para una integracíon, Colección del Centro de Estudios Tomistas (Providencia, Chile: RIL Editores, 2017).
Translation with notes and appendices of John Poinsot, Cursus Philosophicus Thomisticus, Volumen II: Physica, Pars I, ed. Beatus Reiser (Taurini: Marietti, 1930). This project will be long and ongoing, with the results posted here.
Translation with appendices of Fr. Édouard Hugon, O.P., Marie pleine de grâce (Paris: P. Lethielleux, 1926) for Cluny Media, The Thomist Tradition Series (hopefully, to be released later in